No fewer than 40 houses allegedly built on public land designated for industrial purposes have been demolished by the Ondo State Government.
The illegal structures, situated behind Automart along Akure-Owo highway, were said to have been erected by land grabbers.
According to the state government, the move became imperative in preparation for the purported commencement of Port Ondo.
Commissioner, Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Lola Fagbemi disclosed that the affected landlords and occupants of the illegal buildings had earlier been intimated of the government’s intention to take possession of the lands.
While emphasising that the land had earlier been acquired by the Western Region and designated as an industrial area, Fagbemi, said the demolition exercise was carried out in a bid to reclaim government property already in the possession of land grabbers.
“These tracts of land were acquired by the defunct Western Region government and were designated as industrial land for the use of economic, commercial, and other industrial purposes.
“This place remained an industrial area upon the creation of Ondo State on February 3, 1976, and this is one of the greatest immovable assets that we have as a state,” he said.
On his part, Commissioner for Lands, Housing, and Infrastructure, Raimi Aminu, said the demolition was essential and urgent, especially as the state awaits the commencement of the long-anticipated Ondo Port.