King Charles and Queen Camilla make surprise appearance at the Epsom Derby

King Charles and Queen Camilla have made a surprise appearance at the Epsom Derby racecourse today.

They made the trip to watch their horse, Treasure, run in the Betfred Oaks later this afternoon. The horse was bred by the late Queen Elizabeth II.

The royal couple both dressed suitably for the wet and weary weather with raincoats.

In Post: AyobamiBlog Data Shop

The Epsom Derby is the most prestigious race of the Flat season and was a firm favourite of the late Queen Elizabeth II, who regularly attended the annual event.

During the event, Charles, 75, and Camilla, 76, sat in the Royal Box ahead of the Coronation Cup.

It is highly anticipated that Their Majesties will present the trophy to the winners of the race.

The King and Queen’s horse has been rated the eighth favourite by bookmakers at odds between 18/1 and 26/1.

The prize money for today’s race totals £541,035 for the top six positions out of the 12 runners.

A first prize of £311,905 will go to the winner, then £118,250 for the second, £59,180 for the third, £29,480 for the fourth, £14,795 for the fifth and £7,425 for the sixth.

The owner normally receives about 75 per cent of a race’s prize money, while the remaining 25 per cent is generally split between the trainer (10 per cent), the jockey (10 per cent) and then the final five per cent to stable staff and racing charities.

Queen Elizabeth II bred the horse, the daughter of stallion Masterscraftsman and Shimmering Light, which was placed for the late monarch in two races in 2017.

Trainer Ralph Beckett said they “decided to have a go at the Oaks as the ground should be in her favour”, adding that he had been “very pleased with her progress”.

The handler also described Charles and Camilla as “such enthusiastic owners and it is great to be training such a nice filly for them who is running in a Classic”.

Queen Elizabeth II landed five Classics in all, with Carrrozza her first Epsom Oaks heroine in 1957 followed by Dunfermline in 1977.

Dunfermline was the last to carry the royal colours to victory in a British Classic.

The horse won not only the Epsom Oaks but also the St Leger at Doncaster during Queen Elizabeth II’s Silver Jubilee year.

CR: GBNews

Post Bt: AyobamiBlog Data Shop


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.